How To Make A Perfect Smoothie
How to Make a Frozen Fruit Smoothie
From the go-to formula to the best equipment for the job, everything you need to know in order to start making next level smoothies at home is included in our comprehensive guide to the perfect smoothie.
You want to know how to make a smoothieand not just any smoothie. One that rivals those perfectly creamy ones that your favorite health food store or juice bar charges upwards of $10 a pop for. Well, look no further, because we have everything you need to know about how to make the tastiest smoothie youve ever had, and how to adjust the ingredients based on your favorite flavors, textures, nutrition goalsoh, and foods you already have in your kitchen. On top of that, we have the gear guide youll need to choose the best smoothie maker or blender to make all your wildest smoothie dreams come true. With a little know-how and the right tools, youll be surprised at how easy it is to make next-level smoothies in your own kitchen.
How Do You Make A Smoothie From Scratch
In short, making a smoothie is as simple as tossing ingredients into the blender and letting it do the work. The harder part is deciding what, and how much, goes into the pitcher.
A homemade smoothie can be as simple or complex as you choose to make it.
You can make an easy 2-ingredient strawberry smoothie by blending together frozen strawberries and a bit of milk. Or you could get really complicated and make a 12 ingredient mega smoothie with enough calories to last the day.
Easy Fruit Smoothie Recipe
I personally love smoothies and cant get enough of them. They are so delicious and I would eat them every day if I could.
This is my basic recipe to create what I call the perfect smoothie. It is such an easy smoothie recipe. You can do all water for your liquid, but I suggest you add some sweetener to it.
This recipe is so versatile and can be customized to what you like. It calls for a cup of frozen fruit and I typically use strawberries or blueberries. However, you could use banana, pineapple, mango or a combination!
This Spinach Pineapple Green Smoothie is another favorite smoothie I absolutely love! Once you start making smoothies, you will be hooked!
Read Also: The Tea Spot Blood Orange Smoothie
Frozen Fruit Smoothie Recipe
Frozen fruit can always be found stocked in our freezer.
When that moment strikes and I have literally NOTHING else to make, a frozen fruit smoothie can always save the day.
It doesnt even matter what fresh or frozen fruits Im working with. They can ALL be turned into a creamy and delicious smoothie.
That is, if you have this basic formula on hand.
I would never leave you hanging, though. In addition to this simple guide, youll also find a few recipes you can start off with and then add in all of the nuts, seeds, milks, juices, yogurts, and protein powders your heart desires.
Because after you finish reading this post, youll never need me again. Well, at least not when it comes to making incredible frozen fruit smoothies!
Consider These Factors When Buying A Blender For Preparing Smoothies With Frozen Fruit
There are certain features of a blender you need to consider if you are getting it to prepare a smoothie. A high-grade blender must have an extraordinary built and best technology to give you the kind of smoothie you want.
The blenders which are available now are much more fast and quick than the past blenders. Manufactures indicate the blenders power mostly in watts or sometimes horsepower. Watts can range anywhere from 300 to 1500.
High wattage blenders tend to cost more than low wattage blender for obvious reasons. So its likely that a more expensive blender equals to a better one. A suitable blender for a smoothie would consist of a wattage anywhere near 800-1000.
A blender for a smoothie should be equipped with sharp and large blades. Nowadays, the blenders come with two varieties of the blade to make it more multipurpose. Look for effective extraction blades that can cut through frozen fruits effortlessly.
Various sizes of jar will help you if you want to make a smoothie in smaller or larger quantities. If you want to prepare a serving for one, get a blender with a jar with a capacity 25oz. If your requirements call for large quantities, be sure to buy no less than 45oz.
Several accessories that come along with the blenders are a different kind of lids. These lids allow you to switch the blending jar to a sipper. So not only can you pop the smoothie in the jar, but you can consume the smoothie in it too.
Recommended Reading: Whole Foods Keto Berry Smoothie
More Fruit Smoothie Recipes:
- Skinny Pina Colada Smoothie Under 100 calories for a creamy, rich & satisfying smoothie that tastes like the real deal!
- Blueberry Pie Smoothie A healthy, no-sugar-added smoothie that tastes like a blueberry pie! So good!
- Tropical Peach Pineapple Slushies No added sugar! Cool, refreshing and they go down so easily! Optionally add alcohol and makes a great party drink.
- Strawberry Banana Pineapple Smoothie No sugar needed in this refreshing, 3-ingredient, healthy smoothie!
- Make-Ahead Smoothie Freezer Packs Prep your breakfasts and snacks for the week with these easy and DELISH freezer pack smoothie recipes!! Theyll make your mornings and your life so much EASIER!!
- Strawberry Coconut Pina Colada Smoothie A smoothie that tastes like a strawberry pina colada!! Fast, easy, refreshing, naturally sweet, and made with ONLY 3 INGREDIENTS!!
Are You Looking For Even More Smoothies No Worries Weve Got You Covered:
- Clementine Avocado Smoothie. If youve never added avocado to your smoothie before, you are missing out! The flavor is so mild, that you cant taste it, but the texture is dreamy, creamy smooth, and the healthy added fats help keep your fuller longer.
- Cold Buster Smoothie. When youre feeling under the weather and your throat is sore, this smoothie for colds is soothing and nourishing.
- Coffee Smoothie. Get a jolt of caffeine and your breakfast all in one cup! This is packed full of coffee flavor.
- Persimmon Smoothie. Packed full of autumnal flavor, this spiced smoothie is creamy and sweet!
- Spinach and Pear Smoothie. Bright green and fresh in flavor, this smoothie is a perfect light breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie. Sweet potato in a smoothie? YUP! It tastes like a delicious pie. Youll love it!
- Apple Smoothie. This smoothie is packed full of healthy spinach, but tastes like apple pie!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. This pumpkin smoothie is perfect for the weather is still warm but your heart wants fall to show up.
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie. This smoothie is rich and dark, and it tastes decadent enough you could sip on it for dessert!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie. All the flavors of your favorite sandwich in a tasty smoothie! Pick your favorite jelly to add to this peanut butter smoothie.
- Tart Cherry and Spinach Smoothies. We show serving this cherry smoothie as a light breakfast in a bowl, but you could easily pour it in a glass and sip away!
Don’t Miss: Is There A Keto Smoothie
Are Smoothies Healthy For You
Before we dive into the quest of how to make a fruit smoothie, lets dive into the why. Our philosophy here at Wholefully is that smoothies can be an incredibly nourishing part of your diet. Just like with our juicing recipes, we say its always better to eat whole fruits and veggies where possible. But its not always possible! Smoothies do make it easy to pack in all the nutrients of your favorite produce into one drinkable cupwhich is great when youre on the go or short on time.
And lets be honest, smoothies are just freaking delicious! We are big believers that you also need to nourish your soul with your food, and if drinking a perfectly tangy and sweet smoothie brings a smile to your face, then thats healthy as healthy can be.
How To Make A Smoothie Less Bitter:
HOW TO MAKE A SMOOTHIE WITH FROZEN FRUIT
- Pineapple and oranges both add lots of fruity sweetness. Banana, in addition to being sweet, seems to neutralize bitter flavors. Strawberries are also good choices for green smoothies. Also try adding a bit of vanilla bean or vanilla extract, agave, cacao, or unsweetened cocoa powder. Flavored protein powders will also mask the taste of bitter greens. After adding these ingredients, work your machine back up to its highest speed, and process for 10-20 seconds.
- Tip: Baby greens are generally milder than mature greens. Tastes do change and adapt to new eating habits. Try working up to bitter greens by combining small amounts of them with the spinach in your smoothie. Then gradually adjust the ratio as your taste buds adapt. Chalky taste: Add more fruit and/or other ingredients in the recipe. Work your machine back up to its highest speed, and process for 10-20 seconds. Adding more protein powder can give you too much of a good thing use amounts recommended on the label.
Don’t Miss: How To Make A Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
One Of The Best Fruit Smoothie Recipes
We love this frozen fruit smoothie because its delicious, but there are so many things to love about it!
- High Protein This recipe has nonfat greek yogurt and protein powder, giving it 20g+ of protein per smoothie!
- Easy to Make You only need 4 simple ingredients to make this smoothie recipe, and its as easy as adding to a blender and turning it on!
- Easy to Customize There are tons of ways you can make this recipe your own with whatever fruit you have in your fridge or freezer
How Long Do Frozen Fruit Smoothies Last
Frozen fruit smoothies, and all smoothies in general, will last up to two days in the refrigerator.
Its best to keep them in airtight containers. Mason jars, for example, can help to prevent the fruits from oxidizing.
Keeping your smoothie in the freezer will guarantee a longer storage period. You can pour it into a freezer-safe jar and leave it to defrost an hour before drinking it.
Or you can keep them in popsicle molds. It creates a more fun and convenient experience.
Alternatively, you can store the frozen ingredients separately instead. You wont have to wait hours before defrosting to get your smoothie ready.
Plus, it may result in a fresher frozen fruit smoothie.
Recommended Reading: Great Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
Can This Fruit Smoothie Be Stored For Later
We wouldnt recommend making this smoothie and storing for later. It will last for a couple hours in a glass, but it will start to separate.
This smoothie is best to drink fresh!
Can this fruit smoothie recipe be made in bulk? You can double or triple this recipe if youd like. However I wouldnt recommend making this smoothie and storing it for later. Its best to make it fresh and enjoy!
Soaked Cashews Or Nut Butter
Peanut butter, almond butter, or soaked cashews may be relatively high in calories, but theyre good for you, so who cares.
Besides, they add such a lovely nutty flavor to your smoothie, the calories are worth it.
Alrighty, now that thats out of the way, lets finally have a look at these 12 no-banana smoothies!
Also Check: How To Make A Dairy Free Smoothie
What Else Can Be Prepared Apart From Smoothies
I get it that it is all about making the perfect smoothies. But that versatile blender can do much more than that. Make maximum use of these blenders. Some smoothie blenders also come with a blade that is suitable for grinding.
Thus if you are fond of freshly grounded spices, these blenders would serve the purpose. Smoothie blenders can cut through hard veggies in a blink of an eye. You would often see in cafes that they use the blenders to prepare milkshakes, juices, frappes, etc.
Their fast speed and coarsely blending technique make it feasible to use for the preparation of soups, salad dressings, sauces, and dips. You can start your morning by preparing a fresh pancake batter in the blender. Another thing these blenders might make for you are nuts and seeds butter. If you like your butter smooth, this will work wonders.
After listing so many uses of blenders, Im sure youve already grabbed a cookbook. You must buy a good quality blender, which will not only last long but fulfill all these needs.
How To Measure Smoothie Ingredients
I too am guilty of looking at a smoothie recipe and then throwing a bit of everything into the pitcher. I could end up with a 12 ounce breakfast or a 24 ounce drink-me-all-day. Sometimes though, its nice to know exactly how much smoothie Im going to end up making.
Maybe you are counting calories. Perhaps you dont want to end up with leftovers. Maybe you never make enough for your kids to share. No matter your reason, sometimes its just makes life easier to know.
How do I do this without dirtying a pile of measuring cups and spoons? A kitchen scale!
Simply place the pitcher on your scale and hit the tare button to zero it out. Add the ingredients, pressing tare between each one, to measure exactly how much goes into the pitcher. Best of all you do it without dirtying a single measuring utensil.
Don’t Miss: 21 Day Green Smoothie Diet
Basic Steps For How To Make A Fruit Smoothie
1. Add your frozen fruit of choice
In this case, we used blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. However, any type of frozen fruit will work great!
2. Add a yogurt or banana base to thicken
Plain greek yogurt and/or bananas are great for thickening smoothies.
3. Add protein powder
Adding protein powder helps sweeten the smoothie and, of course, adds protein. This is always an optional step!
4. Add your milk of choice
Our favorite is unsweetened almond milk, but cashew milk, coconut milk, oat milk, and regular dairy milk are all great options as well.
To make the smoothie: Simply blend everything in a single serving blender and enjoy! Another option is to pour the smoothie into mason jars and freeze for quick smoothies throughout the week. Simply thaw in the refrigerator a few hours before youre ready to drink it !
Is It Healthy To Have A Smoothie Every Day
How to make smoothies: Frozen fruit smoothies: Dole Strawberries peaches and bananas: Easy smoothie
If youre looking to put your own blender to use and start making smoothies at home, youre already one step ahead with saving yourself money and ensuring you have full control over what goes into your drink. Enjoying a smoothie every day is totally fine if you make sure it has a good balance of nutrients.
That said, dietitians say its actually better to chew and swallow food rather than drinking it for fullness, so its probably best to limit your intake to one smoothie a day and enjoy proper meals and snacks throughout the day. And if youre aiming to make your smoothie a meal, try to include at least 25 grams of protein if its a snack, go for at least 10 grams of protein.
These delicious, healthy smoothies make it easier to eat right with nutrient-rich fruit and veggies, creamy milk, protein, probiotic-rich yogurt, and other nutritious ingredients. Just a note: Some of these recipes contain fruit juice or honey to up the sweetness, but if youre looking to cut added sugar from your diet, you can nix those ingredients.
Some of these recipes are from , the new book from Preventions Healing Kitchen series. Give these recipes a try, and feel free to tweak and experiment to create your own perfect blend.
You May Like: How To Do A Banana Smoothie
How To Make A Smoothie + 27 Simple Smoothie Recipes To Try
Im a believer that smoothies are the perfect meal or snack no matter what the weather. It is never too cold to have an awesome smoothie! Since smoothies are such a tasty way to pack in a meal on the go, I put on a big sweater and happily drink them even when the temps are frigid.
We originally published our first guide on smoothie making way back in 2015, and since then, millions of folks have visited this post and used our recipes to make the best ever smoothies! I consider these smoothies simple classics because they have great flavor, all the ingredients are easy to source , and they pack a nutritional punch that can nourish you nicely. These are the kinds of smoothies that I think everyone should know how to make, and chances are, youll find a favorite combo among these recipes. There really is no wrong way to make a smoothie, but I think these recipes are a great jumping-off point if the blender intimidates you.
Sweeten A Smoothie With Natural Sweeteners
Natural sweeteners should be our topmost priority if we wish to choose a healthier lifestyle and still satisfy our sweet tooth. All the natural sweeteners contain some amounts of added nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and different enzymes. Natural sweeteners are generally safer than that of refined sugar. However, when used excessively, they can prove to be equally as harmful as refined sugar, so as with most things, moderation is key.
Natural sweeteners tend to be sweeter than refined sugars, so a little goes a long way. When making smoothie recipes using natural sweeteners, it is always better to add little, try it, and increase only if necessary. You can always adjust the quantity to your taste. Below, you will find a list of some of our favorite natural sweeteners, all natural staples you need stocked in your pantry.
You May Like: Smoothie Recipes With Almond Milk And Frozen Fruit